Wheels are one of the most attractive and most stolen parts of a vehicle. Wheel theft is such a big issue in America that every car owner needs to own the best wheel lock removal tool.
Wheels are the prime accessories of an automobile. No one wants to wake up and come across a vehicle missing all its tires.
If most of the time you have your vehicle in a parking lot or on the roadside, you need to pay extra attention to its security. Sometimes even those expensive burglary alarms are of no use as the thieves are also getting smart with time. It is why investing in anti-theft lug nuts is a wise decision.
But only installing them is not the solution. You need to ensure that you can remove those wheel locks when required.
So today, we bring you our detailed review of the nine best locking wheel nut removal tools in 2023. We will also discuss the types of locking devices, how they work, their benefits, and how to install them.
Let us get started and help you make your ride more secure.
Top Pick Universal Locking Wheel Nut Removal Tool
Any accessory that can help you secure your vehicle and simultaneously enhance its looks is worth your money. Wheel locking lug nuts are one such car accessory that will give you immense benefits for your investment.
Below we have our top choices that are highly rated and well-loved by the customers across various online platforms. You can use these removal tools to get those lug nuts off.
TOPEC 16 SAE Metric Piece Compact Durable Locking Lug Master Key Set Ideal For Aftermarket Wheels
ABN Universal 16p SAE/Metric Master Wheel Lock Removal Tool Kit
Sunex 9 Piece CR-MO Hubcap and Wheel Lock Removal Kit
9 Best Wheel Lock Removing Tools That You Should Own In 2023
People want security for their vehicles, so they purchase the much-needed wheel locks. But the issue arises when they are unable to remove them.
There can be several reasons for this. They either lose their keys or do not have the necessary tools.
Keeping this in mind, we bring you some of the best wheel lock removing tools that will help you in the best way possible. Now you can have your vehicle secure and have complete control over the wheel locks.
1. Steelman 9-Piece Hubcap & Wheel Lock Kit With Twist Type Sockets & Anti-Corrosion Layer
- Brand- Steelman
- Color- Marron & Black
- Made from impact grade Chromoly steel
- Highly durable
- Reverse turning twist sockets
- Large universal locking lug nuts remover
- Compatible with top brands like- GM, Ford, Chrysler
- Large wheel cover lock remover
The first product on our list is Steelman’s nine-piece hubcap & wheel lock removal kit made of alloy steel.
The kit contains nine tools that you can use to remove hubcap & wheel locks when you lose the original keys or the lug nuts are damaged.
The impact-grade steel provides each piece with long-lasting durability. Each item in the kit is coated with black oxide protective finish making them rust & corrosion-resistant.
This product is compatible with GM, Ford, Chrysler, & Corvette wheel locks and many aftermarket brands. The kit includes twist-type sockets that feature spiral channeled grooves that easily latch onto the locks & lugs for easy removal.
This entire kit comes in an easy-to-open plastic case. It is highly portable & compact to store.
2. EVGATSAUTO 5Pcs Twist Socket Set Ideal To Extract Worn Out Locking Wheel Nut & Bolt
- Brand- EVGATSAUTO
- Color- Blue & Black
- Made of Carbon Steel
- Convenient to use
- Made of high-quality carbon steel
- Twist socket set, High strength
- Durable, Compact to store & transport
- Can easily remove deformed, rusting, & breaking locking lug nuts
- Can withstand heavy-duty wheel lock removing activities
EVGATSAUTO’s 5Pcs Twist Socket Set Locking Wheel Nut Bolt Stud Extractor Removers is an excellent product to remove worn-out or damaged nuts quickly & efficiently.
Whether they are deformed, peeling, breaking, or rusting, this kit can still get the job done. The kit comprises one straight bar and four different sizes of sockets(17mm, 19mm, 21mm, 22mm).
Each piece is constructed with durable carbon steel and can withstand heavy-duty wheel lock-removing activities. Good quality is crucial as it ensures your safety & guarantees you get the worth of your money.
The product works smoothly. You need to latch it onto the lock. It then twists & bites into the locking nut and dislodges it in no time.
Each tool is well placed inside a blow-molded case for better organization. The entire kit is highly convenient to store & transport. Overall it is one of the top broken locking wheel nut removal tools.
3. TOPEC 16 SAE Metric Piece Compact Durable Locking Lug Master Key Set Ideal For Aftermarket Wheels
- Brand- TOPEC
- Color- Yellow & Black
- Made of alloy steel
- Steel black phosphate finish
- Heat-treated chrome-molybdenum steel
- Strong & Durable
- Point socket design provides a stronger locking force
- Extra-deep broach accommodates longer fasteners
- Compact storage
- The package consists of 16 pieces
- Better suited for aftermarket wheels
- Easy to use
Another universal locking wheel nut removal tool you can buy in 2023 is Topic’s 16 metric pieces locking lug master key set.
The removers are made of chrome-molybdenum steel. The surface is coated with black oxide to provide high durability. They will not break while in use.
Using this kit is quite easy. You need to attach your combination wench to the related key size from the kit. One of the best things about this lug lock key is that it can effectively prevent damage to your wheels.
The kit is comprised of a double hex head & hex keys that you can use on spline, hex, star & fluted hex fasteners.
You can use this product on various automobiles with aftermarket lug nuts.
4. ABN Universal 16p SAE/Metric Master Wheel Lock Removal Tool Kit
- Brand- ABN
- Color- Gray
- Made of alloy steel
- For universal wheel locks
- The kit comes with standard (SAE) and metric pieces
- Sizing chart diagram for easy identification
- Highly portable
- Easy to use
The ABN’s wheel lock removal tool kit is another must-have that contains double hex-headed, hex, and tuner-style keys.
This kit fits different kinds of vehicles with aftermarket lug nuts and is ideal for universal wheel locks.
It is made from heat-treated chrome vanadium steel covered with a black oxide finish providing longevity & maximum strength. The lug keys are thin-walled and of socket style. Their extra-long length help in preventing any damage to your wheels. The kit comes with standard & metric pieces that you can use on the spline, star, hex, and fluted fastener.
You get a 5-spline small-diameter socket in the kit, 6-spline small-diameter socket, a 7-spline small-diameter, and a 12-spline small-diameter socket. Also, 8 hex & star keys are included in the kit too.
For easy use, the sizing information is permanently inscribed on each piece. All you need to do is attach your combination wrench to the related key size from this kit.
This kit is highly portable and easy to store. The molds keep the keys in place and give the clean organization.
5. ATD 16-Piece Double Hex Head Style Locking Wheel Nut Master Key Tool
- Brand- ATD
- Color- Red & Black
- Made of alloy steel
- Double Hex head style
- Black oxide finish
- Specially designed for aftermarket wheels
- Extra-long lug keys to avoid any damage to the wheels
- Thin wall socket
- Easy removal
ATD 16-piece locking wheel nut master key set is an ideal purchase to remove those stuck on anti-theft screws with utmost ease.
Each piece is made of alloy steel that has gone through the heat-treated chrome vanadium steel construction. Also, the black oxide finish makes them durable.
The keys are of double hex head design and fit most lug wrenches and 13/16″ & 7/8″ sockets.
The lug keys are specially made extra long to keep your wrench at a distance to avoid any nicks & scratches. The thin wall sockets avert damage to wheels.
This set is specifically designed for the easy removal of locking lug nuts on aftermarket wheels.
6. Sunex 9 Piece CR-MO Hubcap and Wheel Lock Removal Kit
- Brand- Sunex
- Color- Orange & Black
- Made of CR-MO steel
- Mold case is heavy duty
- Can be used on most domestic & imported vehicles
- Portable, Affordable, Easy usage
- Recommended to use with an impact wrench or hand driver
- The package comprises GM hubcap lock remover, GM sprocket hubcap lock remover, Chrysler hubcap lock remover, large universal locking lugnut remover, large wheel cover lock remover for stripped 18mm lug nuts, oversize wheel lock remover, corvette GM body wheel lock remover, lug nut remover punch.
Sunex offers a nine-piece hubcap and wheel lock removal tool kit made from high-end CR-MO alloy steel offering its strength & longevity.
The molded case of the kit is heavy-duty, ensuring the safety of the tools. This set will help you remove & replace most hubcap locks on brands like Chrysler & GM and aftermarket wheel lug locks.
If you lose the original key to your anti-theft locks, this kit can be your savior. This nine-piece kit is affordable, portable, and is quite simple to use.
7. Ken-Tool 13 Piece Universal Wheel Lock Removal Kit
- Brand- Ken-Tool
- Color- Red & Black
- Coated with black oxide for preventing rust & corrosion
- Mainly for Ford, GM & Chrysler vehicles
- It is also compatible with standard & oversized OEM & aftermarket wheel locks for various domestic & imported automobiles
- An extractor punch is also included in the kit
With Ken-Tool’s wheel lock removing kit, you get a durable read blow-molded plastic case that you can use with a 1/2-inch drive ratchet wrench.
Each piece inside the kit is hardened to provide durability and is also coated with black oxide for rust & corrosion protection. For proper use, all you need to do is match the socket size properly and then gently tap the socket over the lock with a soft-face hammer.
This 13-piece deluxe removal kit includes 3/4 inches19 mm & 7/8 inches twist sockets for removing damaged lug nuts or oversized locks. There is also an extractor punch that aids in removing the lock from the socket.
What Are Wheel Locks?
Wheel Locks are external accessories for automobiles. They lock the tires to your car like you lock its door and prevent thieves from stealing them.
There are two types of lug nuts that you can use to lock your wheels. The first one allows you to lock the tires in a place. You can remove them using an exclusive key.
The other ones are wheel clamps that clamp down the tires, making them immobile.
No matter which type you use, in every case, wheel lock tools make it impossible for anyone to remove the wheels from your ride. Also, as they can make your vehicle immobilize, they can prevent your entire vehicle from being stolen.
Different Types Of Wheel Locks
There are two types of wheel locks available in the market. They are almost similar but still differ in a manner or two. Let us help you get familiar what are the different types.
– Wheel Clamp
The first type is wheel clamps that fasten around the entire wheel. These locks are easily visible (Visual theft deterrent) & can indicate approaching thieves to move on to another ride to get their job done.
If you are looking for a long-term solution, they are the one. The only limitation these clamps have is that they can be a little heavy and difficult to handle.
- Comparison Of Synthetic Oil Vs Conventional Oil.
- 7 Best Iron Remover for Car Paint To Quickly Remove Rust
– Wheel Nut Lock
The nut lock is the most common type of wheel lock. It is easy to place. All you do is replace one of your original lug nuts with a locking nut which is extremely hard to remove without a specific key.
The only drawback is that this type does not have a visual theft deterrent. It means the thieves may not notice them and attempt to temper with your ride & even cause potential damage until they realize they can not take them off.
How To Remove Wheel Locking Lug Nuts From Your Car?
Owning a wheel lock removal kit is not enough. You need to know how to use one to remove the locking lug nuts, or else your money is just as good as down the drain.
Today with the help of our step-by-step guide, we will teach you to remove a locking wheel nut efficiently.
– Put On The Parking Brake
Removing locked wheel nuts requires a good amount of force. Thus, you need to make sure you park your ride on a leveled surface & the parking brake is on.
Your vehicle should be completely stagnant.
– Place The Key
Now that your vehicle is well parked, you need to place the exclusive key on the lock to remove it.
– Torquing The Lock
As you engage the key into the lock, now you need to torque it. For it, you can use a torquing wrench. You should use the torque setting suggested by the manufacturer of your wheels.
– Use Your Feet
Sometimes getting the lock nut is not easy. You might need an extra force that you can apply via pressing your foot. Although it might seem easy, you need to ensure your safety. It is better to brace yourself against the vehicle.
– Get Professional Help
Sometimes doing all these things does not help. If you do everything in your power & still are unable to budge that lug nut or lose the key, you should seek professional assistance.
Top FAQs About Best Locking Lug Nut Removal Tool
What are the benefits of wheel locks?
Installing wheel locks in your automobile can help you big time. There are many benefits that you can enjoy with them, like,
- Protection- No matter if you have your vehicle unattended for a long period or you live or work in a high crime rate area. Wheel locks will ensure no harm is done.
- Money Saver- Wheel locks are a one-time investment. By investing a few hundred dollars, you can save yourself from spending money on hefty insurance & maintenance if something bad has to happen.
- Mental Peace- With your vehicle at best, you can finally have a good night’s sleep & concentrate on your work well. You can finally push all the worries aside and have the much-needed peace of mind.
What are the things to consider when buying wheel lock removers?
When purchasing a wheel lock removing kit, there are a few crucial things that you need to consider to ensure you do not waste your money.
- Material– Check the construction material of the product. See if it’s made of robust materials like alloy steel or simple plastic.
- Finish– A good product always has a premium quality finish. Most of them come with black oxide coating that offers protection from rust & corrosion.
- Size– Ensure that the kit you are purchasing holds the size matching your wheel locks.
- Usage– Ease of usage is a must. If you can not use a product, it is a complete waste. So check if you can understand the instructions & follow them.
So wheel lock removing tools work?
YES. You will need a wheel lock removing kit if you lose the original keys to your locks. Whether the wheel locks are degrading, corroding, or breaking, a good quality tool will help you get rid of them.
Is using wheel lock removers easy?
Using any tool is as easy as understanding its usage. If you can understand the usage instructions well, you can use the tool. And if not, then you can’t.
SO, before you make any purchase, go through each detail & instruction to see if you understand how to use it or not.
Can I use a wheel lock withdrawing tool on aftermarket wheels?
YES, you can. A wheel lock withdrawing tool can work on both branded & aftermarket wheels. Some tools are brand exclusive and will work well with certain brands only, whereas some tools are for only aftermarket ones.
In the article above, we have listed various tools that work with both brands & aftermarket wheels, making it easy for you.
Wheel locks are necessary for the safety of your vehicle, but they can put you in jeopardy if you lose the key. For such times owning a wheel lock removal tool is your best shot.
The article covers the nine best kits for getting rid of stuck wheel locks. We hope you find the best one for your vehicle.