How long does it take to jump start a car is the first question that comes to mind when we discern that the battery is dead.
Car battery dying is not oblivious to the community. Cars have become such an integral part of our lives that most of us practically live in them. We use them for every work, whether big or small.
But has it ever happened to you that you hopped into your car and tried waking it up only to find out the battery is dead? Such a situation can occur anytime and to anyone.
The truth is that such things happen at the most inconvenient times. The more shocking is that despite being regular drivers, most of us do not know the basics of automobile maintenance.
Do not be embarrassed if you are one of those. You can always learn to become better. Thus, today we have this simple guide that answers how long does it take to jump-start a car battery.
We will be discussing some related topics, reasons, solutions related to the dead battery, jump start a battery, and more.
Top Reasons That Lead To Battery Failure
So before we begin our search to find answers for how long does it take to jump start a car, we would like to talk about the cause that leads to the situation of jumpstart.
Your car’s battery is its powerhouse. No amount of fuel can make your car run unless it gets the base ignition or power from within, which is provided by the battery.
Suggestion For Reading: What Happens if You Put Too Much Oil in Your Car? – Remove Excess Oil from Car.
The battery is a combination of chemicals, so it is questionable that it is dead out of the blue. There are different reasons involved that lead it to this.
The prime reason your car battery gave up is its poor maintenance. To make sure the sanity of your car is intact, you need to take care of it, and that included the inner parts too.
If you do not take care of your battery, it is bound to go south.
Not everyone is an expert at everything. There is a right & proper way to do certain things. You need to be informed and careful when installing the battery in your car.
A minor mistake on your end can cost you your battery and sometimes even your car.
Suggestion For Reading: 10 Reasons Your Car Shakes When Accelerating But not When Coasting.
As you know, your car battery is a box of chemical mixtures. Thus, you need to make sure you do not exceed the temperature of your car.
Buy Online Now: VHT SP402 Engine Metallic Burnt Copper Paint Can is the Best Automotive High Temperature Paint.
The acid in the battery is more persistent to corrode and leads to electrodes failure. The corrosion gets high with the temperature, and soon you will find your battery capacity falling and ultimately a dead end.
An alternator is the one that conducts current in the electric cables or chains in the automobile.
However, if this unit is broken, it can lead to the battery being either permanently undercharged or fully discharged.
Both of these conditions are extreme and can be one of the reasons you need to jump-start your ride.
Sensing small vibrations in your car every now & then when driving is normal. But if this vibration is continuous, especially along the base, it can lead to the destruction of the inner battery components.
This happens as the grid of the battery gets eroded fastly in the aggressive acid environment.
Well, we are talking about taking care of our car, so if you like, you can check out our article about What Happens If You Don’t Change Your Oil.
Things That You Must Have In Your Car (All The Times)
There is no proper time or scenario for your car battery to die. It can happen anytime and anywhere. So it is better to keep yourself prepared for any such scenario.
Below, we have a list of things that you should, or if we can say, must carry in your car all the time to tackle the situation related to battery failure.
- Owner’s Manual: The foremost thing that should always be in your car no matter what is your owner’s manual. It has information on every part of your ride and can help you during troubled times. Buy Online at Affordable Price.
- Jump Cables: Jump cables are the life savior, and the longer they are, the better it is for you. Buy Online at Affordable Price.
- Mechanic Gloves: Working with the engine is always risky, so it is crucial to keep yourself safe. So keep mechanic gloves at your backend. Disposable gloves will do, but heavy-duty ones offer better protection. Buy Online at Affordable Price.
- Flashlight: To have a clear view of the deep ends of your engine, you should always carry a flashlight handy in your ride. Buy Online at Affordable Price.
- Coveralls: Protecting your body & clothes is just as important as your hands. So you can either go for the solid ones or the paper coverall. Buy Online at Affordable Price.
- License, Insurance, & Registration: Whether you are in a pickle or not, you should always carry your license, car insurance, and registration documents. You never know when & where your battery might give up, so any assistance is good.
- Spare Tire: We cannot stress it enough to say that always carry a spare tire. A busted tire is the most common issue, so to avoid getting stuck on the roadside, better carry a spare.
- Tire Pressure Gauge: Having a tire that is over or under pressure can be dangerous. One cannot know just by looking at one. So this tiny gadget will let you check your tires pressure before you begin your journey. Checkout AstroAI Digital Tire Pressure Gauge 150 PSI 4 Settings for Car Truck Bicycle with Backlit LCD and Non-Slip Grip, Silver (1 Pack)
- Duct Tape: This oldie but goodie item is a must in your car. A duct tape can come to the rescue for emergency fixes. So always carry one. Buy Online at Best Price.
- Car Cleaning Kit: Make a small cleaning kit for your car. It is good to maintain the good hygiene of your ride as well. Items that you can include in the kit are:
– Paper towels
– Water bottles
– Zipper lock backs
– Reusable shopping bags
– Car trash can
- First Aid Kit: You never know when a first aid kit can come in handy. Always carry one as it will be helpful to assist any injury ASAP.
- Multi-Tools: Scissors, Screwdriver, and a sharp edge thingy are a few items that you might need when on a road trip. If you do not have space for all, a good multi-tool will be the best choice.
- Spare Clothes: This may sound weird, but is much needed. You never know when you might need a change of clothes. So it is better if you have a backpack that includes an extra set of clothes and a blanket for you.
Apart from the things mentioned above, another thing you need to jump-start your dead battery is Another Car. That’s right. To make sure you can jumpstart your car, you need another ride to provide a jump to your dead battery.
Things To Be Cautious About
Before you begin your work, you need to realize that you are working with machinery, so you cannot rule out that mishaps can happen. Thus, you need to be cautious all the time.
Below we have a list of things that you must read before getting ready to jump-start your car:
- Read your owners’ manual before you start. Due to the sensitivity of electronic equipment, the manufacturer can advise against starting the engine.
- Never try to jump a frozen battery.
- Never try to jump start a battery that is leaking or even cracked. If your battery is cracked or leaking, then it is high time you buy a new one.
- Make sure that the battery is not dry either.
- If your battery is rustic, clear the layering off with an aluminum foil, wire brush, or anything that will not harm the battery and keep your hands safe.
Easy Guide To Learn How Long Does It Take To Jump Start A Car?
Now that you are aware of the reasons for battery failure, things you will need to jump-start your car along with the cautionary measures you must take, the next step begins.
We are now going to tell you how long it takes to jump-start a car by making you understand the mechanism of jump-starting an automobile.
1. Be Safe
Before you begin, park the other car closer to your ride. Pull up the parking brakes of both vehicles. This will ensure that neither of them will go rolling away during the process.
Suggestion For Reading: 11 Salient Questions to Ask When Buying A Used Car.
2. Locate The Battery
Pop the hood of the car and locate the battery. In some cars, the battery is easy to find, whereas, in others, it is hidden. So you will need to look around.
3. Connect The Two Cars
After you have located the battery, now is the time to make the connection. When making the connection, make sure you do it in proper order with proper concentration.
Proper order will help you avoid any kind of electrical shock when you are connecting the two.
- Start with the dead battery.
- Firstly, connect the red (positive) cable to the battery.
- Now extend this cable to the second car and connect the second positive cable.
- Now, connect the black (negative) cable to the dead battery and then go on to connect the other end to the second car.
4. Start The Engines
See how we are saying engines? It means you need to start both the cars. First, wake up the car that is working and let it run for a while.
Suggestion For Reading: List of Cars That Require Premium Gas in 2021 – Is Premium Fuel Worth Your Money?
After a while, start your car with the dead battery and let the process continue for few minutes before stopping it.
5. Check If It Works
Now that you have completed the process, check if it works. Start your car alone and see if it is running or not.
If not, then you might need to repeat the jumpstart process.
6. Remove Cables
If your car can roar again, then it means you were able to jump-start it. And now is the time to remove the cables.
But remove the cables in the opposite manner of you installed them. This means removing the black cable first followed by the red one.
Now you are ready to drive without any worry.
How long does it take to jump start a car battery?
There is no specific period under which you can be assured that your dead battery will jump-start.
The time range for your battery to run again can go from meager 2 minutes to 30 minutes. So all you need is to be patient and work properly.
Can I jump-start my cold battery?
Never try to jump start a cold car battery. Doing such a thing can lead to hazardous consequences.
Can a car’s battery die out of the blue?
NO. The battery is a component of chemicals. It just does not go blank out of anywhere. Several reasons lead to such a result.
Suggestion For Reading: 11 Best New Cars Under $12000 in 2021 – Reviews Photos & Details.
You not taking good care of your ride, no proper maintenance, and exposure of battery to extreme hot & cold temperatures are the few reasons that can lead to the following outcome over time.
After jumping the car how long should I keep it running?
Firstly, when jump-starting your car you need to make sure you keep both the cars running for few minutes.
After the jumping process, you should keep your car running for at least 2 to 3 minutes to make sure the battery is getting charged up well.
How long does it take to jump a car in the cold?
The period to jump a car in any weather is the same. It can start easily or you might have to keep working for few long minutes to achieve what you are looking for.
However, after jump start when you roar your engine, you should drive around in your car for at least 30 minutes to ensure that battery is working.
Furthermore, if you turn off your car straight away, it might leave you in the same position as before.
Can a car battery be too dead to jump start?
NO. A car’s battery is never too dead to jump start. The instant battery failure indicates that there is a bigger issue with your ride.
To learn about how long does it take to jump-start a car, you need to understand the reasons for battery failure, what jump-starting a car means, and other related details.
The above article sums up the causes, precautions, and step-by-step guide to jump start a car with a dead battery.