Different people have different obsessions. And when it comes to automobiles you will be astonished how people are obsessed with different things related to their cars.
Some are brand obsessed, some are all in for a particular, some only like a particular body style for every car, while some have a thing for its number and so on. However, the one such irresistible impulse that somehow turns out to be more about style, class, and identity is owning private number plates.
Private number plates are a great way for you as an owner to show off your identity on your vehicle. Custom registration plates are not unique but attractive as well.
Your vehicle will easily get attention, plus it will not take anyone much time to recognize as you are the owner of a custom number plate. The sole reason is that the customized number plates do not follow the standard structure of traditional registration plates.
You will come across many celebrities that own private number plates, and because they are unique, the world knows that particular number as the owner’s identity.
But owing a particular number plate is not just for the rich. Anyone can get them. All you need to do is follow the legal procedure to ensure your number plate is legal.
Private Number Plates 101: Step By Step Guide
In the United Kingdom is you want to own a private number plate, then you can either go to the government organization DVLA or you can choose a private dealer or person.
DVLA or formally called The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency is known to work for steadiness in the vehicle number plate system in the UK.
Popular For You:
Top 9 Affordable Cars With Rotary Engines You Must Check Out
8 Best Catalytic Converter Cleaner Of 2022 To Buy Online
8 Best Car Seat Gap Filler Organizer 2022 To Buy Online at Lowest Price
In addition, this regulation makes it safer for the police & other emergency services. It even helps them fight against vehicle-related crimes like car theft.
Below we have our step-by-step guide that will help you get that private (personalized) number plate that you always wanted.
1. Get A Private Number
The first thing that you need to do is buy a private number. You can either buy it from DVLA Personalised Registrations, or DVLA auctions, or private dealers.
- DVLA Auctions
The DVLA auctions occur about five times a year in the UK. You can find different numbers available for auction. You can bid for the number you like via phone, online, in writing, or in person. Once you have paid, you will get a V750 certificate of entitlement that shows that you have the right to use the number on a vehicle.
- Private Dealer
You can also choose a private dealer or person for getting your desired number plate. Dealers usually transfer the number to the vehicle. However, you can ask the dealer to give you either a V778 or V750 certificate. This certificate will allow you to assign the number whenever you desire.
2. Allot Your Private Number To A Vehicle
Once you have your hands on the private number you desired via any medium mentioned in step 1, now is the turn for you to assign that number to a vehicle.
To be able to assign an exclusive number to an automobile, you either need a V750 certificate of entitlement or a V778 retention document.
- You get a V750 certificate when you buy a private number.
- You get a V778 certificate when you get a private number from another vehicle, you or someone else owned.
Once you own any one of these documents, you can apply online or via post for the assigning of the private number to your vehicle.
You can assign your bought private number to a vehicle that is:
- Registered to you whether a brand new, old or a used one
- Registered to someone else
Furthermore, no hard & fast rule dictates you to use the number. You do not have to assign it to a vehicle if you don’t want to.
However, you need to restore your right to use the number every 10 years.
3. Get A Number Plate
The final step requires you to get a number plate for your ride. You can get a number plate made only by a registered number plate supplier.
Also Read: 5 Best Honda CRV Seat Covers Review To Buy Online
To be able to get the number plate made, you need to submit original documents of your name & address proof and show your right of ownership & usage to the registered number.
- Identity Documents:
- Driving license
- National identity card
- Bank or building society statement of the previous six months
- Utility, Council Tax or rates bill of the previous six months
- Proof of Registered Private Number Usage:
- Vehicle registration certificate- V5C or V5CNI
- A certificate of entitlement to the number- V750 or V750NI
- Temporary registration certificate- V379 or V379NI
- A retention document- V778
- UK trailer registration certificate- VTRC
- A number plate authorization certificate- V948 along with an official stamp from DVLA
- A renewal reminder for vehicle tax or SORN (V11 or V11NI)
- Green ‘new keeper’ slip from the V5C or V5CNI
- A letter of authorization from a fleet operator that quotes the document reference number from the registration certificate
4. Tell Your Insurance Company
Now that you have got a private number, assign it to a vehicle, and have a number plate made. It is time to tell your insurance company. It is a must for you to do so.
Also, you need to update your registration number for any automatic payment accounts so that you do not get into trouble for not having your information straight.
What Are The Eligibility Traits To Assign A Private Number?
If you want to assign a pirate number to your vehicle there are certain conditions and restrictions that you need to abide by to get the process right.
Firstly, to be able to assign a private number to a vehicle, that vehicle must be:
- registered with DVLA in the UK
- able to move under its power
- available for inspection – DVLA will contact you if they need to inspect your vehicle
- of a type that needs an MOT or heavy goods vehicle (HGV) test certificate
- have been taxed or had a SORN in place continuously for the past 5 years
- taxed currently or have a SORN in place
Secondly, there are certain rules that you can not forfeit:
- You can not assign a number starting with ‘Q’ or ‘NIQ’
- A private number can never be assigned on a ‘Q’ registered vehicle
- Furthermore, you can not use a private number that makes a vehicle look newer than it is – for example, an ‘07’ registration number on a 2003 registered vehicle
Opting for a unique vehicle license number is one of the most popular ways to showcase your presence and style. It not only make your vehicle stand out but also show your passion for automobiles.
The above-mentioned guide will help you get a private number plate for your ride without any hassle.